Friday, April 14, 2006

First Reviews

Hurrah - two favourable early reviews for the new edition of The Summer King due out next month in the USA and UK. One appears in the fine literary journal, Kirkus. The other is my favourite. ALA's Booklist says "magnificently detailed magic" and "moves breathlessly between ever enfolding worlds—mortal and immortal, primordial and modern."Also, "readers will be easily caught by the continuous, heart-pounding suspense; the twists and romances; and the heroine, who is both a grieving, contemporary teen and an invincible rescuer of worlds." Thank you very much, Gillian Engberg. I am somewhat relieved as these reviews are based on the uncorrected galley proofs which were, in fact, a dog's breakfast. They were missing necessary italics throughout, and I was still tweaking the manuscript itself right up to the final printer's copy!

3 comments:

KJH said...

Lovely news! I'll be interested to see how it's been rewritten, since I have become so familiar with the original. I'll have to look for it when it comes out here in Canada.

OR Melling said...

Thanks! Penguin Canada are hemming and hawing about whether or not they will publish the new versions. I'll have to get a petition going. Meanwhile, may you have a magical journey through Britain and Ireland!

KJH said...

Thank you! I shall be on the lookout for various magical sites described in your books.