Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Wolves

I love them. And I much prefer the Native American attitude towards them - "our brothers, like the dog" - as opposed to the European one so familiar in fairy tales, i.e. they are an evil enemy. It's interesting to see that modern urban fantasy continues this agricultural prejudice. Wolves are evil in the Chronicles of Narnia and more recently in Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials. (The daimons of the 'evil' Tartars guarding the Experimental Station are wolves.) Not in my books! The she-wolf is a guide and protector in The Light-Bearer's Daughter and another wolf plays a central role in The Book of Dreams. Oddly enough, my own last name means 'wolf' (not my pen-name) and I live on a street called 'Wolfe'. Coincidence? Hah!

7 comments:

Ambermoggie, a fragrant soul said...

I love wolves, I think there is definately something otherworldly about them.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE wolves!!! They are so gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

Is this true sis? Our last name means wolf?
Big Dog

OR Melling said...

Yeah and if you read my books,you'd know that.(Caught out there, bro'.)

Unknown said...

Not quite on the wolf front, but you know about The Daily Coyote blog, don't you? It's worth a look...

http://dailycoyote.blogspot.com/

OR Melling said...

Oh thank you for that coyote blog! What an amazing story, what amazing photographs, and what an amazing woman!

Anonymous said...

I lived in the Yukon for many years. The territorial government occasionally kills wolves under the heading of "wildlife management." The cull is a subject of much debate, but I have had First Nations people tell me they support the cull, saying it was part of their tradition to wipe out as many wolves as possible. One example given to me was killing off a litter of cubs whenever one was found. It all has to do with competition for food, I expect. I'm on the side of the wolves, but that is because I don't much care for people. But if my kid were hungry I'd probably kill any old thing at all.